Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Sitting Pretty [Day 4: 365}

From my bookshelf this morning, there you were. Calling out my name.

Calling out? Oh thanks for the correction. Fine, SCREAMING must be the appropriate word.

For several months now since I first called you MINE from the racks of Kinokuniya, you have been sitting quietly along with several more from my pretty-books collection. Never been touched, never been read.

How To Be Adored, so the title said. Not that I needed tips on how to channel the Hollywood Glamour (or do I?). Not that I wanted another beauty & style guide that won't only make me feel uglier & heavier, but will also make me buy more stuff i won't really need. But there you were, sitting pretty among racks after racks of boring covers  --- your baroque pages just so irresistibly beautiful, your cover in all its  pink & velvety glory.

You were mine that minute.

And after months of sitting pretty on my shelf, this morning you were screaming to be read...so I picked you and started leafing through.

Chapter 1. What is Glamour?
Chapter 2. Skip.

Chapter 3. Blah. Blah. Skip.
Chapter 4. Glamour on the Inside. Hmmm. Interesting. Click.
Chapter 5. 6. 7....Skip. Scan. Scan. Skip. Skip.


Chapter 8. Those adorable little extras. More Scans. More skips.

I somehow never got to Chapter 9, nor onwards.

Nevertheless, I pause and think. At 33 and 3 kids, how do I define Glamour? Did I have 'Glamour on the Inside'? In retrospect, did I constantly make a conscious effort to be Glamorous & Adored?

Or did I let all 33 years pass me by without lifting a finger?

Not that it matters much to me now. But if in all 33 years being consciously glamorous in the efforts to be adored would have meant following a formula of Do's and Don'ts, then I better take another route.

But if being adored meant a loving hand on my stretchmarked tummy, a kiss on the forehead after giving birth, soiled little hands on my cheeks and cuddles as precious as this...


Then yes, I am the most glamorous woman on earth. And so would be many of us.
That to me, in all of life's beauty, pain & sacrifice, is how to be truly Adored. No bag, no shoe, no amount of hair flicking could ever replace that.

So, Pretty Little Book -- in all your soft & velvet glory, thank you for screaming my name this morning. You have truly inspired me in a different way.

For now, there you will be. Sitting Pretty.

My girls might just need you someday. Or not. With our without you, the lovely little angels that they are will be truly....Adored.


bliss♥, pinkmother

No comments:

Post a Comment